Blackpool v City report

City Succeed In First Win Of New Year

AFC Blackpool 1
Carlisle City 3
Saturday 27th January

Carlisle City achieved their first win of the new year over promotion hopefuls Blackpool in a great performance away from home. Tyran Taylor returned to the side for the first time since the opening game of the season. Lewis Carson also returned in goals with Adam Coward out.

City had the first chance of the game through a bit of luck and Aaron Bradbury in the 8th minute. A clearance was picked up by Bradbury who managed his way into the box and got away a low shot. Callum Kirkland got down well to parry for a corner.

On the half hour mark, the visitors should have taken the lead. Michael Slack received the ball on the right and delivered a great ball across the box. Ryan Errington met it and his shot went inches over from close range.

Five minutes later, the hosts came inches away from taking the lead, with the woodwork getting in the way. Alex Taylor was fed the ball on the edge of the box and he turned and his low shot hit the post and was eventually cleared up the field…

Following that, the clearance was sent towards Slack who drove up the field. A great through ball was met by David Renyard who poked the ball past the keeper. Into the box, he tapped the ball into an open net. 0-1 36”.

On the brink of half time, City doubled their lead. Another great ball, this time from Renyard was picked up by Rob McCartney who slotted home from the edge of the box. 0-2 45”.

Half time 0-2

Minutes into the second half, Blackpool had a great chance to pull a goal back. Following a Craig Benjamin clearance, Billy McKenna picked up the loose ball and sent a ball into the box which deflected towards Taylor. The striker turned and hit a half volley inches over.

Fifteen minutes later, the home side did pull one back. A throw on the right was sent down the line and knocked into the box towards the near post. Substitute Carnan Dawson met it and smashed home from a few yards. 1-2 61”.

With a quarter of an hour to go, City showed their pressure to try and get a third to see off the game. Bradbury won a free kick a reasonable distance out and Renyard stepped up. He hit his shot which deflected off the wall and made Kirkland scatter to parry the ball away.

James Tose’s men finally killed off their opponents in the 86th minute. Substitute Kyle Armstrong who came on for Errington won the ball back in the centre of the park. Following that, a move resulted in McCartney flicking an aerial ball onto Renyard with space to run into. He took the ball and lobbed the Blackpool goalie to make it three for City. 1-3 86”.

A strong performance from The Sky Blues made easy work of the team in orange. It is also our fourth consecutive win over AFC Blackpool since joining the NWCFL. Our next home game is February 4th against Sandabch United. Get yourself down to Gillford Park @ 3PM!

Blackpool-Kirkland, Calince, Betteridge, Donaghy, Baird, Pickering, Bishop, Fishwick, Taylor, Williams, McKenna.
Subs-Nay, Speight, Dawson, Hargreaves, Duffield.

City-Casson, Allison, Wiser, Addison, Benjamin, Taylor, McCartney, Bradbury, Slack, Errington, Renyard.
Subs-Heath, Allan, Armstrong, Tose.

By Will Stuart

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.

Get Flash Player