City v Bacup report

Carlisle City 1 Bacup Borough 1

Saturday 26th August

Carlisle City are still in search of their first home win, despite taking the lead against the unbeaten visitors. However, the first half performance looked more of a side which finished last season full of momentum.

The game began with the hosts having most of the possession while the away side got the first chance. As last man back, Craig Benjamin tried to give the ball to Peter Allison on the right, Matthew Bryan intercepted. He drove towards the box and found himself one on one with Michael Ballantyne, fortunately for City his shot soared over the bar from close range.

The away side’s keeper seemed somewhat uneasy when it came to catching the ball as a couple of saves were not held. That proved to become dangerous as a Rob McCartney cross was dropped onto the goal-line by Declan Oliver, he then scrambled the ball away.

City had started to play some good football and could have taken the lead in the 42nd minute. Dave Wallace’s header from a Josh Simpson free kick was only inches above the bar.

Nevertheless, the pressure finally got to Bacup as Aaron Bradbury won a penalty after being tripped by Joshua Walne. Jordan Atkinson stepped up and fired the spot kick into the top left corner. 1-0 45”.

Half-time 1-0.

59” Tre-Carmichael Baldwin-Willis on for Kieran Turner
Stuart Craig on for Kevin Masirika

Bradbury involved again had a chance to double his side’s lead midway through the second half. A ball up from Ballantyne had been headed on by Jonny Allan. Bradbury flicked the ball on into the box and made some space which allowed him to get a shot away, that fizzled wide of the post though.

Two minutes later, that miss may have proved to be costly as the game was equalised. A loose pass from Allison was picked up by Wayne Morrison, he threaded the ball through to Bryan with yards of space. Just inside the box he struck a low shot into the bottom right corner. 1-1 70”.

From then on, the game took a turn in the away side’s favour and the unbeaten Borough had the momentum going into the final twenty minutes.

72” Hugh Hodgson on for Jonny Allan

A quick break led by Rhys Graham could have led to a goal as his run from the halfway line broke through the defence. He gave the ball to Atkinson who neatly flicked the ball into Bradbury. He got his shot away but Oliver parried it out for a corner. That was taken quickly and Bradbury found Atkinson who knocked the ball up and hit a low shot towards goal, the keeper did well to claim.

75” Davison Banda on for Joshua Walne
78” James Tose on for Jamie Heath

Both sides were pushing for a winner and captain Adrian Bellamy was inches away from getting his side’s second in the 80th minute. He couldn’t keep his volley down following an Anthony Hall corner.

Substitute Hodgson could have won his side the game minutes before the ninety as he made his way into the opponent’s box. He couldn’t put his shot around the keeper though.

The game concluded as a draw but what could have felt like a loss to James Tose and his men as they had numerous chances to grab the three points. Regardless, our next home game is against Daisy Hill on Tuesday 29th August 7:45 Kick Off. Come on down!

Line ups:
Carlisle City-Ballantyne, Allison, Heath, Graham, Benjamin, Wallace, McCartney, Simpson ©, Atkinson, Allan, Bradbury.
Subs-Hodgson, Coward, Tose, Greenslade.

Bacup Borough-Oliver, Foulds, Hall, Masirika, Bellamy ©, Constantine, Wayne, Collinson, Morrison, Turner, Bryan.
Subs-Baldwin-Willis, Rhodes, Craig, Banda, Khasa.

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.

Get Flash Player