City v Chadderton report

A start to forget

Saturday 12th August Carlisle City FC 0 Chadderton FC 4

Carlisle City didn’t start the NWCFL division one season as they would have hoped to, visitors Chadderton stormed past City’s makeshift back four, and took three points back down the M6.

The game began somewhat evenly, and both sides looked threatening. However, the first major chance led to the opening goal of the game on 24 minutes as Luke Heron bagged his, and his side’s first goal of the campaign. He picked the up the ball on the edge of City’s box following Aaron Bradbury’s attempted clearance, took a touch and fired the ball into the top of the net. 0-1 24”

Following the opening goal, the game took a turn in favour of the away side who kept the pressure on for the remainder of a half which posed problems for the hosts, but luckily not a second goal.

Half time 0-1

Michael Moss could have opened his account on the 52nd minute but came inches away from doubling his team’s lead. Christopher Pauley collected a loose Michael Ballantyne pass and took the ball down the left. Pauley played the ball across to Moss who found himself one-on-one with the City GK, hit a shot from the edge of the box and it struck the post.

Fortunately for Chadderton, a similar scenario five minutes later resulted in their second goal of the game. Pauley found his way past the Sky Blue back line into the box and pulled the ball back to Moss. Moss placed his shot into the bottom right corner. 0-2 57”.

Three minutes later, the home side were caught out once again as the visitors killed off the game on the hour mark. A cross in from Nathan Quinlan was met by Moss who knocked the ball on to Heron. The quick play meant that the midfielder could poke the ball past Ballantyne. 0-3 60”.

61” Leon Iluobe on for Dominic Welsby (Chadderton)
63” Ben Davidson on for Jordan Atkinson (Carlisle City)
Brady Wiser on for Tom Lucock (City)
70” Kyle Armstrong on for Tyran Taylor (City)
74” Samuel Summerbee on for Quinlan (Chadderton)
77” Nathan Chorlton on for Devon Matthews (Chadderton)

The home side had the chance to salvage a goal when Michael Reed was brought down by the visitor’s keeper. Darren Addison stepped up a hit a low penalty which Michael Smith pushed onto the post and away.

Another chance came for The Sky Blues before the ninety. A good bit of play followed by a subtle flick on by Armstrong gave Reed a chance to get a shot away inside the box. He struck low, but Smith got down well to parry the shot away. Rob McCartney met the loose ball, but his shot was blocked away.

Star man Moss got his second to rub salt in his opponents’ wounds. He received a long ball from the halfway line and took it into the box. With time to spare, he precisely placed the ball past Ballantyne into the top right corner. 0-4 90”.

That finished off a bad start to the season for James Tose’s men. However, they have the chance to bounce back on Monday night as they travel to Nelson for the first time. Our next home game is on Saturday 19th August against Silsden FC-3pm kick off.

Carlisle City-Ballantyne, Carr, Bradbury, Addison, Allison, Taylor ©, McCartney, Simpson, Reed, Atkinson, Lucock.
Subs-Casson, Armstrong, Wiser, Davidson, Hodgson.

Chadderton-Smith, Matthews, Minor, Welsby, Dwyer, Marshall, Heron, Quinlan, Holton, Moss, Pauley.
Subs-Iluobe, Summerbee, Chorlton, Pennington.

Star men:

-Will Stuart

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.

Get Flash Player