City v Holker- 20/2/18

City Sail By Cumbria Rivals

Carlisle City walked past Holker OB on Tuesday night with a great performance at home to keep themselves in contention for the play off places. James Earl began for City following his return to the club and made quite an impact.

It only took five minutes for City to take the lead as a ball was sent in to the edge by new lad James Earl. David Renyard did well and hit a low shot which went under the Holker keeper and rolled into the goal for one of City’s quickest goals of the season so far. 1-0 5”.

That lead could have been doubled three minutes later through Rob McCartney. A cross in from the left from Josh Simpson was met by the attacker at the back post. His header across goal went just inches wide.

Nevertheless, within a few minutes their lead was doubled from a dead ball. Renyard was brought down 25 yards from goal and Simpson stepped up to the free kick. His curling shot couldn’t be kept out by Benjamin Morsby in goal. 2-0 16”.

Five minutes following, the visitors got their first break of the game. A long kick from Morsby went over the City back line and Danny Keenan latched onto the ball. He then hit a strong shot from the edge of the box which Michael Ballantyne did well to tip over.

With just under ten minutes before the break, James Earl provided his teammate with another great delivery following a throw on the left. His weighted pass towards the back post was volleyed into the back of the net by a sliding McCartney. 3-0 36”.

Half-time 3-0

Holker OB began the second half quicker than they started the first. Nevertheless, the hosts did have some chances to add to their tally early on in the second half. A shot from the edge of the box from McCartney was tipped wide to deny a second from the attacker. Two minutes later, Renyard went down in the box and the loose ball was hit by an incoming Ryan Errington but the redeemed Morsby knocked the shot away.

After some pressure from the away side, the team in Green pulled a goal back. A corner from the right was initially cleared by the City defence, but the ball was knocked back into the box. Craig Redhead latched onto the ball and volleyed it into the back of the net. 3-1 63”.

65” Kyle Armstrong on for Josh Simpson
67” Jamie Heath on for Ryan Errington

Minutes after coming on, substitute Armstrong could have made it four for City but Morsby stopped a strong shot from the right. Nevertheless, ten minutes before the end, the fourth came. A through ball from the halfway line from McCartney was picked up by Renyard who took the ball around the keeper and netted from a tight angle. 4-1 79”.

City had one of their best first halves of the season and picked up an important three points to leapfrog their opponents into ninth place. James Earl’s two assists and strong performance resulted in the second time debutant receiving man of the match.

Line ups:
City-Ballantyne, Allison, Bradbury, Addison, Benjamin, Short, McCartney, Simpson, Errington, Earl, Renyard.
Subs-Heath, Greenslade, Allan, Wallace, Armstrong.

Holker OB-Morsby, Mellen, Redhead, Heywood, Smith, Watkin, Baynes, Woodhead, Keenan, Stanway, Hubbold, Moss.
Subs-Parker, Tweddle, Wallace, McHugh

By Will Stuart

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.

Get Flash Player