City v Sandbach report

City Frustration As Finishing Falls Short

Carlisle City 0 Sandbach UTD 1
Saturday 3rd February 2018

Carlisle City lost out in a tight encounter against Promotion hopefuls Sandbach United, some dubious decisions led to a penalty decision which decided the game in the end. Darren Addison was again given the captaincy for The Sky Blues in a similar side to last week’s win at AFC Blackpool.

The first chance came for the visitors in the seventh minute from a corner. Ryan Cattermole swung a ball towards the penalty spot where Matthew Pearson met it with a header just wide of the post.

In the 23rd minute, City’s loanee signing David Renyard produced a magical run to make his way to the Sandbach box where he could lay the ball back to an incoming Darren Addison on the edge of the box. His first time shot was strong but Ryan Moss dived well to parry away for a corner.

Less than five minutes later, Sandbach were awarded a penalty. A through ball towards Josh Lane was met by Craig Benjamin in a narrow 50/50 between the two. Lane went down and after a long deliberation, the referee pointed to the spot. James Kirby stepped up and missed the initial kick as Adam Coward got down well, but the striker netted the rebound to put his side ahead. 0-1 28”.

With ten minutes before the break, the away side had another good chance. Ryan Allcock made his way to the box from the right and found space on the edge. A powerful shot was too close to Coward who saved strongly.

Half-time 0-1

City came out stronger in the second half and came close after ten minutes. A cross from Renyard on the left was met by McCartney at the back post. The ball got trapped under his foot and when he eventually got his shot away, he couldn’t find the target.

64” Kyle Armstrong on for Michael Reed

McCartney came close again on 66 minutes. A free kick was sent in by Brady Wiser and Armstrong flicked the ball on towards the back post. McCartney who was there again and put the ball back across goal, only for a Sandbach defender to clear the danger at the last second.

72” Dan Greenslade on for Tyran Taylor

With ten minutes to go, City should have pulled level through Renyard. A ball from defence was knocked on by Ryan Errington for Aaron Bradbury to play in Renyard. With space in the box, a shot either side of Moss would have made it 1-1, but it went down his throat and the keeper held on.

87” Jonny Allan on for Wiser

Into the dying minutes of stoppage time, both sides pushed for a goal. Sandbach in the 95th minute were unlucky not to score following a cross on the right from Sub Jordan Davies. At the back post, Stuart Tulloch slid in to try and find the goal, but didn’t get enough on the ball.

At the other end, it was showing that City were not going to get past Sandbach’s number one. Another long ball forward was met by Errington who played in Renyard once again. Open on goal, he should have scored, but again his shot was too close to the keeper who parried away. The striker had a second chance but couldn’t get the ball past Moss.

A frustrating game for James Tose’s men meant that they couldn’t close the gap on the play-offs, but consistent performances should hopefully see them move further up the table. Our next home game is Tuesday 20th February v Holker OB in a 19:45 KO, COME ON DOWN and join us!

Line ups:
City-Coward, Allison, Wiser, Addison, Benjamin, Taylor, Errington, Bradbury, McCartney, Reed, Renyard.
Subs-Heath, Casson, Greenslade, Allan, Armstrong.

Sandbach-Moss, Pearson, Clayton, Chadwick, Rowntree, Allcock, Cattermole, Tuloch, Kirby, Walley, Lane.
Subs-Davies, Stockton, Jackson, Johnson, Cadman.

By Will Stuart

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.

Get Flash Player