City v Silsden

A Missing Piece At Home

Saturday 19th August Carlisle City FC 0 Silsden AFC 1

The Sky Blues have still not won at home in the NWCFL as a mix up in the City defence led to what would prove to be the deciding goal, minutes before half time.

The game came after Monday night’s bounce-back win at Nelson where James Tose’s men put four past their former premier division opponents. This game started quite brightly for the home side as a Jordan Atkinson shot, following a throw, tested the Silsden keeper on seven minutes.

On the half hour mark, Joseph Gaughan came inches away from taking the lead resulting from a well worked free kick. Arley Barnes chipped the ball over the City wall and Gaughan brought it down. He tried to poke the ball past debutant Lewis Casson, but he got a touch on the ball to send it out for a corner.

A minute before half time the away side won a free kick, with no threat it fell to Dave Wallace under pressure in his box. Wallace played the ball back to Casson who tried to clear the ball, but couldn’t get a clean contact. He sliced the clearance and Niall Sultan pounced on the loose ball and placed it in the back of the net from five yards. 0-1 44”.

Half-time 0-1

55” Aaron Bradbury off for Ben Davidson (City)
Hugh Hodgson off for Jamie Heath (City)

Just after the hour mark, Casson made up for his earlier fault with a great stop to keep his side in the game. Mateusz Tomasz’s ball over to Gaughan meant that he was through on goal. One-on-one, he tried to put the ball either side of City’s no.1 but he stood tall and reacted well to parry the close range shot.

Three minutes later, Kyle Hancock found himself in space 25 yards out. He struck a shot which ricocheted off the post, he met the rebound with a shot from close range which Casson stopped well at his near post.

69” Tomasz off for Luke Baldwin (Silsden)
Rob McCartney off for Kyle Armstrong (City)

With quarter of an hour to go, Silsden kept looking for their second while City tried to hold on. Baldwin found himself free on the left side and moved into the host’s box, hit a low shot which Casson stopped but, Nicholas McNally met the loose ball. City’s young keeper stopped the second attempt and Craig Benjamin cleared.

There were five minutes of stoppage time and the home side tried to claw back in the game, their last chance came in the 94th minute. Armstrong met an aerial pass and knocked the ball on to Davidson. He made his way into to the box and fired a low shot.Callum Jakovlevs got down well to push the shot away.

The game ended in disappointment for the home side as the defeat means that they still haven’t scored in their first two home games. Our next home game is on Saturday 26th August against Bacup Borough 3pm Kick Off.

Line ups:
Carlisle City-Casson, Benjamin, Bradbury, Addison, Allison, Wallace, McCartney, Simpson, Hodgson, Atkinson, Wiser.
Subs-Heath, Coward, Armstrong, Davidson, Carr.

Silsden-Jakovlevs, Davis, Everingham, Kaine ©, Illingworth, Tomasz, Barnes, Hancock, McNally, Gaughan, Sultan.
Subs-Baldwin, Lee, Eastwood, Metcalfe, Moses.

By Will Stuart

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.

Get Flash Player