City v St Helens Town

Success After Sunset

Carlisle City FC 3 St Helens Town 0 Tuesday 5th September

All of Carlisle City’s three wins have came on weeknights so far this season, and this one was a convincing one at that. A very good performance from a City side which stepped up again from their last performance, meant they could add another three points to the tally.

City were inches away from taking the lead in the eighth minute. Ryan Errington played a good one-two with Michael Reed and had a shot from the edge of the box. The high strike dipped and struck the upper of the bar.

29” Rob McCartney off for Kyle Armstrong

On the half hour mark, the visitors made a chance out of very little when Liam Dodd picked up the ball near the box. Following a throw, Dodd found space and hit a low shot from 25 yards. Michael Ballantyne did well to get down and keep the ball out.

Minutes before the break, the woodwork was struck again, this time from Reed. Thomas Short delivered a good ball from defence and Armstrong headed the ball into the box. It fell to Reed on the penalty spot but his he couldn’t keep his half volley under the bar.

Half-time 0-0

49” Matthew Moody off for Sean Kelly

City took the lead after they couldn’t get much close to scoring. A good free kick was crossed in by Aaron Bradbury, Dave Wallace rose above his marker and headed the ball past Adam Fairchild in goal. 1-0 57.”

60” Craig Cherry off for Matthew Read
Philip Heron off for Daniel Forrester
75” Errington off for Wiser

In the 78th minute, the away side could have pulled level if Shaun Brady found the right side of the post. After doing well to get the ball to The Sky Blues’ box, Forrester delivered a low ball into the penalty spot, Brady met it but his shot was dragged inches wide.

That miss will have proved costly as four minutes later, the hosts doubled their lead. Reed held up the ball well on the right and played in Armstrong, he delivered a ball in goalwards and the keeper couldn’t stop it, it then struck the far post and crossed the line-despite Alex Hope-O’Connor’s best efforts to clear. 2-0 82”.

In the next two minutes, both sides had a chance to get the third goal of the game. Wiser’s shot was stopped well by Fairchild from close range, and Dodd’s header hit the crossbar from the centre of the box.

Four minutes before the ninety, the game was sealed by James Tose’s men. Reed held up the ball again well and took a shot from the edge of the box, the keeper parried it out but only back to the striker. On his second effort, Reed fired the ball into the opposite corner straight away, giving Fairchild no chance.
3-0 86”.

A somewhat comfortable game for Carlisle City in which they showed some very promising football and seem to be improving every week. Our next home game isn’t until the 30th of September against Alsager Town 3PM KO.

Next week, we face Heaton Stan in the FA Vase, away.

Carlisle City-Ballantyne, Benjamin, Bradbury, Addison, Wallace, Short, McCartney, Simpson ©, Reed, Graham, Errington.
Subs-Hodgson, Wiser, Coward, Read, Armstrong.

St Helens Town-Fairchild, Hope-O’Connor, Heron, Webster, Edzes, Whelan, Potter, Smith, Brady, Dodd ©, Moody.
Subs-Kelly, Bradley, Mchugh, Forrester, Hatton.

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.

Get Flash Player