Lower Breck v City



City travelled to Anfield for the first time, one day ahead of the other Sky Blues, and it was quite a changed squad on the day, with absent regulars numbering Lucock, Renyard, Slack, Taylor, Greenslade and Earl. There was just a third start this season in goal for Michael Ballantyne, with games also for Hoolickin, Shiel, Johnstone and Armstrong. The substitutes’ bench also included manager James Tose as well as assistants Jonny Allan and Carl Carr.

Lower Breck play on a 3G surface and McCartney was testing keeper Molloy within the first 30 seconds. Just a few minutes later, the same two players were involved again as Molloy advanced well out of his area only to see McCartney head the ball past him, and the home keeper was probably lucky not to be punished for his challenge having missed the ball, which was cleared by a defender.

Simpson won City’s first corner but this was easily cleared. In the 12th minute, Breck’s leading scorer Donnelly put in a dangerous cross which caused a few problems for the City rearguard. Youngster Johnstone tried his luck for City in the 15th minute but his well-struck shot was blocked. Throughout the first 20 minutes, the home side looked very comfortable in possession but had rarely troubled the City side.

City were awarded a free-kick 25 yards out in the 29th minute and this was to bring the first goal. Skipper Simpson lined-up the kick and his curled shot beat Molloy low down to his right, for his first goal of the season. There was not too much more action before the break although Ballantyne was forced to save Kearns’ shot


The home side made a change at the break and it was something of a surprise to see Kearns being replaced as the winger had looked lively in the first period. Breck looked to have stepped up a gear at the start of this half as they dominated the early exchanges. A fine move in the 53rd minute ended with a shot over from Hill.

City struggled to make many inroads in the early part of this half, and a change saw Gallimore come on for Blair, with Heath switching to left-back and Bradbury moving further forward. Bradbury was soon involved from his more advanced position as his shot ballooned over the bar.

In the 70th minute, City were lucky to stay ahead as a well-hit shot from Donnelly beat Ballantyne but hit the far post, with the City keeper doing well to block the rebound at close range. The second City sub saw Carr come on for Armstrong. City now began to find a few gaps as Breck pushed forward in search of the equaliser, and Molloy had to dash out at Shiel’s feet to prevent a second.

In the 83rd minute, City made it 2-0 as Simpson did well by the right corner flag to get his cross over, and Bradbury nipped in well to poke his shot past Molloy. Five minutes later, it was truly game over as Carr’s cross was converted at close range by McCartney, for his 14th goal of the season.

Ballantyne had one further save to make in the 90th minute but City move on comfortably into the next round, with the draw made on Monday.

TEAMS- LOWER BRECK- Molloy, Webb, Kinsella, Swatton, Ager, Douglas, Kearns, Hill, Donnelly, Darcy, Billington SUBS- Morton, Nevitt, McCarthy, Stephens, Henders
CITY- Ballantyne, Heath, Bradbury, Johnstone, Allison, Hoolickin, Shiel, Simpson, McCartney, Armstrong, Blair SUBS- Gallimore, Townsley, Carr, Allan, Tose
STAR MEN- Kinsella (Lower Breck), Bradbury (City)

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.

Get Flash Player