Steeton v City

City were without skipper Josh Simpson as well as midfielders James Earl and Arron Bradbury so Kyle Armstrong adopted a deep-lying midfield role, with Michael Slack and Tom Lucock ahead of him. The home side play at the Keighley Cougars Rugby League stadium, which was also hosting a wedding yesterday, creating something of a surreal atmosphere. Steeton had started the season well but went into the game winless for the last six matches.
City began the game on the front foot with Blair’s shot deflected wide for an early corner. However, Steeton scored with their first meaningful attack in the 5th minute. Briggs ran well down the left before crossing to Davis, who swivelled well and shot past Townsley for an ominously simple goal, which was Davis’ first of the season.
The home pressure continued as a free-kick was quickly followed by a corner, but City managed to clear their lines. For the first 20 minutes, City did struggle to gain much of a foothold in the game, but Blair tried his luck from 30 yards with his shot flying a few yards wide. City were closer in the 32nd minute when a loose ball dropped to Lucock on the edge of the box and his well-struck shot was inches away.
A couple of minutes later, skipper Greenslade was booked for dissent. Armstrong seemed to be enjoying his new role in the team and he won a 33rd-minute corner which caused a real scramble in the home goalmouth before being cleared.
City do have a habit this season of starting second halves strongly and this game was no exception as they picked up the pressure straight from the re-start, and Shiel was unlucky to volley over as he arrived at the far post. In the 56th minute, City drew level as an excellent Lucock corner was perfectly flighted for Slack to head in from close range.
City continued to press and Shiel saw another shot blocked with Taylor also heading a chance wide. Slack’s shot was deflected for a corner in the 62nd minute and this was to see City take the lead. In almost a carbon-copy of the first goal, a fine Lucock delivery was easy for Taylor to head in from just a few yards out.
City had to make a change as the injured Allison was replaced by Heath. City were still enjoying good pressure as Slack saw his shot blocked and there was then a harsh booking for Shiel, who literally made no contact with a tackle and yet was still cautioned. City possibly lived to regret a gilt-edged chance being missed in the 77th minute as a clearance fell to Lucock with the goal gaping, but his fierce drive hit the bar when it looked easier to score. This was soon followed by McCartney screwing his shot across goal when in a good position to score.
City had really no Steeton pressure to soak up in the second half but the home side won two corners just after the 90-minute mark passed. The first was cleared behind but the second was to lead to a dramatic 92nd-minute equaliser. The left-wing kick was not even well struck and the City management were frustrated to see the ball bounce around in the area before being scrambled in by Morgan, who also was registering his first goal of the season.
TEAMS- STEETON- Mash, Mason, Scott, Morgan, Pearson, Hird, Jeffrey, Davis, Briggs, Hollindrake, Richardson SUBS- Maney, Smith, Driscoll, Cox, Rooke
CITY- Townsley, Allison, Pearson, Greenslade, Taylor, Armstrong, Shiel, Slack, McCartney, Lucock, Blair SUBS- Heath, Johnstone, Walker, Ballantyne, Allan
STAR MEN- Briggs (Steeton), McCartney (City)- picked by opposition officials

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.

Get Flash Player